Tuesday, November 2, 2010

You Must Let It Find You


LOST- by David Waggoner
Stand still. The trees ahead and the bushes beside you
Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here,
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen. It answers,
I have made the place around you.
If you leave it you may come back again, saying Here.
No two trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree or bush does is lost on you,
You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest knows
Where you are. You must let it find you.

I knew before and after I went to Africa that I would experience a feeling of being lost.  I would be lost without a feeling of reaching towards a life dream to complete.  Last night Dan read the poem 'Lost' out loud and it hit me.  I have been so consumed on figuring out the next step in life that I haven't really recognized what is going on around me right. this. minute.  The words "wherever you are is called Here, and you must treat it as a powerful stranger" provides a feeling of excitement that if I pause for just a moment, I'm able to see that life is moving me, shaping me and showing me new things. 

1 comment: